Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Livin' the Life

February 5, 2009
I am really trying to embrace the fact that the life I am living right now while collecting data is, in itself, data collection. Like most new researchers, I love the idea of living my research. Of being in it. I was excited when I had to drive an hour to do one interview because that is how things are in rural Maine. I thought it amusing that the road I traveled to one school was almost impassbale, thinking "no one would believe this." But then this week came and now the fun has worn off a little. I was collecting data. The group was brilliant, I left feeling great. I decided to stop at the seedy gas station in town that is famous for selling gas about 5 cents cheaper than anywhere else in central or western Maine. And because I am on a budget, I need to get cheap gas. I filled up my tank and then my car wouldn't start. Being in rural Maine and knowing no one (no social capital for me), I had to have it towed 30 miles back to Farmington (at $3 a mile after the first 5 miles). Then, I took it to the guy who has his own garage because he has the best rates (and I can't afford to have VIP figure out what is wrong with it). And he isn't open on Fridays (this was a Thursday), so he couldn't look at it until Monday. Anway, I had to reschedule my next data collection appointment because I had no way to get to the school. In the midst of all of my stress and mental break downs, I just tried to use it as research. My expeirence echoed what I have been hearing in my interviews about transportation being a barrier to so many things. I understood what it was like to be stranded, to have to bail on something at the last minute because I had no other choice, and to not get my work done because of something beyond my control. So, $500 later I am loving life again and understanding what "researcher as participant" means!

No comments:

Post a Comment