Thursday, March 19, 2009

Another Step Closer

I just finished Transcribing!!!! It is such a good feeling to be done with this step. I only managed to lose one transcript in the process, which I was shockingly calm about, considering it was about 7 hours worth of typing. But the second go round allowed me to get a deeper sense of the emerging themes, so it was good for me.

I have to give a special thank you to my research assistant, Carla. She has spent many hours typing and checking and now I am ready to move on to the next phase of the research: coding the data. The part I love about transcribing is getting to hear all the paticipants' voices again and reaffirming for myself how brilliant adolescents can be. In my first study on adolescents living in rural poverty, I was amazed at how articulate and hopeful my participants were. Once again, they have put difficult constructs into words and are going to bring a voice to a marginalized population. I don't know yet how I am going to take all these rich data and synthesize them into a cohesive chapter. This will be a challenge, but I am really glad to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment