Tuesday, November 1, 2005

November 1, 2005

I finished Lisa Dodson’s book, Don’t Call Us Out of Name. It was amazing. That is what I want to write. That is what I want my dissertation to be. She had the kids design the survey, analyze the data, and then conduct focus groups to look at the data in a more in depth manor. It was incredible. It really renewed my energy for doing participatory research. I see that there is a balance one can find and it doesn’t have to fit into the little box that is PAR. I am planning to meet with Lisa soon to talk with her about possibilities for my dissertation and to get a sense of what is within my grasp for a dissertation. I think I might be able to take this data and share it with another group of rural adolescents and have them analyze it for other themes and go more in depth about what to do next. I also think creating an exhibit of their photography would be really amazing. It might go on tour to local and school libraries. It could be very powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment